Wednesday, 30 June 2010

My Google Nexus One Experience

I bought my Google Nexus One on the 17th of February 2010 and have been using it since. So I wanted to share some information about this phone.

I think this is an excellent phone and I don't have any regrets.

How did I get my hands on it?
I friend of mine bought it in America and shipped it to New Zealand and I bought it from him. The phone came with the latest update which meant that I had pinch to zoom out of the box.

You cant tell how good a phone is until you try it.

Features of the phone which I really like:
  • Unlike the iPhone you can have widgets on any of the 5 home pages. Some really cool widgets are:
    • The power control - There are 5 buttons on this widget which allow you to turn on and off the following.
      1. WI-FI
      2. Bluetooth
      3. GPS
      4. Auto-sync
      5. Screen brightness
  • The flashing trackball.
    • When you get any sort of notification you can choose what things should happen. One of them is making the trackball blink ever x seconds.
    • This is very handy. You can see if you have any notifications without having to turn the phone on.
  • The integration with all the Google applications are excellent. Obviously its a Google Phone.
    • The contact sync is excellent. Update your contacts in GMail or on your phone any everything is in sync.
  • The android market is great. Easy to browse and install apps. I have not seen the apple app store from an apple device so I can't make any comparison. The android market displays screenshots of the apps so this helps when you are trying to decide which application to install.
  • Multi-tasking is great. How does it work?
    • Lets say you are writing a SMS, but you need to look up something on the Internet.
    • Click on the home button. This will save the state of the SMS.
    • Go and find whatever you wanted on the Internet.
    • Hold the home button down and you will see the last 6 applications that you have used.
    • Select the SMS application and continue working.
  • The notification bar at the top of the phone is excellent. All your notifications can be seen it one place.


Some problems with the phone:
  • Every now and then I have to restart the phone. I don't know if you to do this on the iPhone also. 
  • Sometimes after playing a game or working with an app, the touch screen calibrations is not accurate. I would touch somewhere on the screen and it would actually think its somewhere a little below that.
    • Solution: Just lock and unlock your phone using the button at the top of the phone and everything is fine again.
  • Games are not as good as one the apple devices. (iPhone and iPod touch)
  • The animation and effects are good on the phone, but not as good as on the iPhone.
    • When you turn the phone from portrait to landscape, iPhone does the nice rotate. The Nexus One just changes screens normally.
    • On the iPhone when you send a message, the message flows beautifully from the compose section to the threaded view.

Currently I am waiting for the android 2.2 update. Its suppose to make the phone 4 to 5 times faster and has lots more improved features. I personally am looking forward to the following in android 2.2
  • Next to the all apps button at the bottom, there will also be a phone and Internet icon. This will be very handy because I make a lots of calls.
  • USB tethering and WI-FI hotpot.
  • Update all of your apps with a single click.
  • The phone is already this fast, how much faster can it get.
I hope that gives you an insight off the pros and cons of the Nexus One.

No comments: